Saturday, August 26, 2006

2 Tim 2:7 "Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this"

This promise from Paul to Timothy applies to all believers who know Jesus Christ. Think through these words of Scripture as well and you too may be encouraged in the Lord:

Ps 1:2
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.

Ps 19:14
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.

Jer 15:16
Your words were found, and I ate them,
And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart;
For I am called by Your name,
O Lord God of hosts.

Col 3:16
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

Ps 77:11-12
I will remember the works of the Lord;
Surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will also meditate on all Your work,
And talk of Your deeds.

Ps 104:34
May my meditation be sweet to Him;
I will be glad in the Lord.

Ps 119:11
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You!

Ps 119:15
I will meditate on Your precepts,
And contemplate Your ways.

Ps 119:148
My eyes are awake through the night watches,
That I may meditate on Your word.

Joshua 1:8
"This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

1 Tim 4:15
Meditate on these things; give yourself entirely to them, that your progress may be evident to all.

Phil 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.

Col 3:2
Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

James 1:25
But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

I have found it very interesting to see that the meaning of the word "meditate" in the OT is: to moan, utter, muse, mutter, devise, speak.

Consider these English words:

moan: a low mournful sound, usually expressive of suffering

Gods Word is our comfort in times of suffering

utter: make (a sound) or say (something)

When God’s Word is boiling over in your heart it tends to reach the lips even when you don’t intend to do this.

muse: be absorbed in thought.

We should be consumed by the Words of Life.

mutter: a barely audible utterance.

But certainly something spoken loudly in your heart.

devise: plan

Proverbs 16:9
A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.
And oh how wonderful it is if you have submitted your heart to His Words for direction.

speak: say something

And how can they hear about Him unless someone tells them? (Rom 10:14)

And in the NT the word meditate means: to care for, attend to carefully, practise

practise: perform (an activity) or exercise (a skill) repeatedly in order to improve or maintain proficiency in it.

Do this with fervent prayer for understanding and obeying God’s Word and you will be encouraged, corrected, directed, and certainly Blessed!

DISCLAIMER

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home